What are custom-made mouthguards?
Custom-made mouthguards are specially fitted to your teeth for the ultimate protection while playing sports. They cushion the teeth and gums and help to avoid chipped and broken teeth.Because they are custom-fit, they are more comfortable to wear and offer better protection.
Avoiding injury to teeth
Being hit in the mouth by a ball in such sports as football, cricket or hockey can lead to serious damage to your teeth, including broken and lost teeth. Contact sports, such as rugby and boxing, can also lead to damaged, broken or dislocated jaws. Sports mouthguards provide cushioning to protect against such injuries. Professional sportspeople can often be seen wearing mouthguards for this reason.
Mouthguards should be worn by adults and children. Children’s mouthguards will need regular replacement as their teeth and jaws grow. You should check regularly that your child’s mouthguard still fits, and see your dentist for a replacement if it has become loose or tight-fitting. Adults will also need to replace their mouthguards periodically due to wear and tear.
We make custom mouthguards
- First, your dentist will take a mould (impression) of your teeth. This is sent to our lab technicians to custom make your mouthguard.
- You can choose the protection level and colour of your mouthguard.
- The laboratory will take 3-7 days to make your mouthguard.
- Your dentist will check the mouthguard fits properly and make any adjustments so if sits comfortably.
- You should then wear it at all times playing or training for sports. keep it stored safely in the protective case and keep it clean with cool soapy water.
- Helps to protect teeth from injury and tooth loss
- Custom made to fit snuggly and comfortably
- Helps with preventing jaw damage
- Avoid long term and permanent damage to teeth
- Avoid costly dental repairs and treatment
Can I use an over-the-counter mouthguard?
Custom made mouthguards offer a more comfortable fit and better protection. “Boil and bite” type mouthguards from the chemist or supermarket do not fit as well and can come loose during sporting activity. This poses a risk to your teeth and jaws. They are the cheaper alternative and are better than no mouthguard at all.
Can I choose the colour of my mouthguard?
Yes you can! Your dentist will show you which colours and designs are available and you are free to choose the ones you like most! Names and other stickers can be included at extra cost.
Can I claim my mouthguards?
Certainly! If you are covered for mouthguards, you will be eligible* for a rebate from your dental fund. Ask us to help you check your eligibility. (*T&Cs apply)